Improve the air quality in your work by using an air filter
Choosing the right air purifier comes down to the types of filters it has — a true HEPA is key — and making sure it can accommodate the size of the room you want cleaned. We targeted 360 square feet, slightly larger than the average master office.
Improving indoor air quality starts with minimizing pollutant sources such as cigarette smoke or dust and pet dander. We test how well a room air purifier removes dust and smoke from an enclosed space, how it performs at high and low speeds, and how quiet it is.
Before you resort to buying an air purifier, try some simple steps to reduce indoor air irritants, including:
- Vacuum often and thoroughly with a vacuum with HEPA filtration.
- Ban smoking indoors.
- Maintain your heating and cooling equipment and change air filters regularly.
- Minimize use of candles and wood fires.
- Use exhaust fans in kitchen, bath, and laundry areas.
- Don’t store chemicals, solvents, glues, or pesticides near your living quarters.
If pollen or related allergies keep you from opening windows, run your air conditioner or forced-air cooling system with a clean air filter.
The Pros and Cons:
Pros: They’re portable—most room air purifiers weigh from 10 to 20 pounds, have a handle, and stand on the floor or on a table, while heavier models might have wheels.
Many have a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter, which can capture ultrafine particles. Keep in mind: Most HEPA filters need to be replaced annually, an expense that might approach the cost of the air cleaner, but a few models are now available with cleanable HEPA filters.
Cons: Portable models that use either electrostatic-precipitator or ionizer technology could produce some ozone, a lung irritant.
Dedicated ozone generators, a subcategory of room models, produce large amounts of ozone by design. According to manufacturers, that is to reduce allergens such as dust, smoke, pollen, germs, and mold. Ozone, however, is a serious health concern, prompting the State of California to ban the sale of ozone generators (and other air purifiers that emit more than 50 parts per billion of ozone) from the general market.
Things to Consider:
Many portable models have annual operating costs of $150 to $200 for filter replacement and electricity (with the majority of that cost being for filters). Filter prices can range from around $10 each up to about $100 (with some priced well into the hundreds). Some units use a pre-filter to capture large airborne particles before they reach the HEPA filter, possibly extending its life.
Depending on usage, you typically need to replace the carbon filters every 3 months, and the main filter yearly. To cut costs, look for room models that are Energy Star qualified, meaning they are relatively energy-efficient compared to standard models. Some models have washable filters that can be reused.
Keep it Clean:
Any type of air purifier won’t work well if the filter is clogged and dusty, and, if filter is full, it may stop working entirely.
Noise level is important, especially if you run an air purifier in a room where you sleep or work. For the sake of efficiency (and quietness), we recommend picking a larger unit and running it on a lower speed, rather than cranking up a small one.
One of the best purifiers on the market “Rabbit Air MinusA2”
If we had to pick the best rated air purifier out of all of the others on this list, this would be the clear winner. We consider it the best home air purifier system available due to its wide range of features and air cleaning power.
The MinusA2 offers an unmatched 6-stage air purification process that creates the cleanest, freshest air possible. This includes:
- Pre-filter – To capture the largest particles and prolongs the life of the other filters
- Medium Filter – Traps large allergens and dust particles
- BioGS HEPA Filter – Extra-long life version of a True HEPA Filter that captures the tiniest of all allergens, dust, pollen and mold particles. Lasts up to 3 years.
- Carbon Filter – Eliminates odors and chemical vapors
- Customized Filter – Let’s you customize the product to suit your specific needs. Choose between enhanced germ defense, toxin absorption, pet allergies or odor elimination
- Ion Generator – Creates an ionic field to neutralize airborne contaminants without producing ozone
Another reason this is the best overall air purifier is the fact that you can customize the front panel in both color and/or design. Many different artistic design choices are available to suit your taste. And, since it’s wall mountable, this device can be camouflaged as a piece of art inside a room.
If you can afford it, we highly suggest that you invest in this air purifying machine.